Sunday, November 4, 2012

Never Give Up


GREEK WORD WITH ENGLISH TRANSLITERATION: εγκακεω (egkakeo)

PRONUNCIATION:  eng-ka-KEH-oh

STRONG’S CONCORDANCE #: 1573

MEANING: to become weary;

BACKGROUND OF WORD (ETYMOLOGY): from two Greek words literally meaning "in bad", or "in bad times"

HOW TRANSLATED IN KJV AND/OR ESV:  weary; afraid; despair; faint; lose heart

# OF TIMES USED IN THE GREEK NEW TESTAMENT: 4

VERSES IN THE BIBLE WHERE GREEK WORD USED:
   
Galatians 6:9

“Let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.” ESV
   

2 Corinthians 4:16

For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.”  KJV
“So we do not lose heart. Though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner nature is being renewed day by day.”  ESV


THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:

In Galatians 6:9, the apostle Paul told us, “And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.” Do you see the word “weary” in this verse? It comes from the Greek word ‎ekkakeo, which is a compound of the words ‎en ‎and ‎kakos‎. The word ‎en ‎means in, and the word ‎kakos ‎describes something that is evil or bad. When these two words are used together, as in this verse, the new word means to grow weary; to give in to evil; or to let something bad defeat you. It gives the idea of surrendering or giving in to bad circumstances.

This means the apostle Paul was telling the Galatians: Don't let evil get the best of you.... Don't let the bad circumstances wear you down and wear you out.... Don't give in to the evil that intends to defeat you....
Let’s face it, doing good can be exhausting, especially when no one seems to appreciate our efforts.  Now we need to be cautious here with our motives, but the reality is that it can get very frustrating to serve the Lord and not feel appreciated.   That is why it is critical that we always do our service with the right motive.  If we do it for man…man will ALWAYS let us down.  But if we do it for the Lord and for His glory, He will NEVER let us down. 

I believe this is why Paul uses this very same word when he writes to the church at Corinth and tells them in 2 Corinthians 4:16: For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.”  Where and how was Paul being renewed?  By and through the ministry of the Holy Spirit.  Paul was never doing it for man’s sake.  He had faced so many attacks from man that one could see who he might grow weary.  Beat almost to death on many occasions; taking the whipping of forty lashes at least five times; being imprisoned on numerous occasions.  And yet he tells US…don’t let it get you down.

My friend, I can’t pretend to know what you might be going through.  But I can tell you that God’s word says “My grace is sufficient for you” (2 Corinthians 12:9).  God wants to strengthen you in your well doing…will you let Him? 


CHALLENGE FOR THE DAY:

Whatever it is that is heavy on your heart today, stop and thank God that He knows your every weakness and He alone can and will sustain you.  Whatever issues you have been facing these past days, ask God for that continued strength.  Thank Him for that grace.  Lean on His everlasting arms and trust in Him for comfort, guidance and direction. 


PRAYER OF THE DAY:

    
Lord, thank You for showing me today how to respond to the spiritual attacks I am experiencing in my life. Please help me to not grow weary and to stay faithful.  Please help me know your strength in my weakness. Satan, I command you to take your hands off my life! You have no right to exercise any control over my life! I tell you to go in Jesus' name! Father, I thank You for honoring Your Word and causing my situations to turn around. I thank You in advance for the victory that is going to start showing forth in and through my life! Help me Holy Spirit to never give up or to give in.  I pray this in Jesus' name! Amen. 

1 comment: