Thursday, November 15, 2012

Making Your Mark


GREEK WORD WITH ENGLISH TRANSLITERATION: σκοπός   (skopos)

PRONUNCIATION:  skop-OS

STRONG’S CONCORDANCE #: 4649

MEANING: mark; to press toward a goal

ENGLISH WORDS DERIVED FROM: scope

BACKGROUND OF WORD (ETYMOLOGY): word was used to describe an athlete running toward a goal; the word also was used to describe a scout looking for their target (mark);

HOW TRANSLATED IN KJV, NASB AND/OR ESV:  mark; goal

# OF TIMES USED IN THE GREEK NEW TESTAMENT: 2

KEY VERSE IN THE BIBLE WHERE GREEK WORD USED:
Philippians 3:14 - "I press toward the mark (σκοπός) for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.”
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:

In Philippians 3:14, Paul wrote, “I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.” The words press towardare from the Greek word epekteinomai‎, a word that pictures a foot racer. It is the image of a racer who is pressing forward so hard and is so stretched out that his entire body is arching forward as his arms reach ahead to grasp the goal before him.

The word markis the Greek word skopos‎, which describes the finish line for a runner. Like a runner, Paul was straining toward the finish line. At that time in his life, he was on his last run around the track before the race concluded. Rather than slowing down, taking it easy, or resting, he had chosen to put forth all his efforts and push harder than ever before so he could finish first, knowing that he had given his very best to the very end of his life.

Paul then wrote that he was pressing toward the prize.” The word prizeis the Greek word brabeion‎, describing the rewards given to those who won their competitions in the public games. This means Paul had his reward on his mind. When it was finally time for him to depart to be with Christ, there would be a reward waiting for him. With this in mind, Paul chose to shove all obstacles and hindrances out of the way and to strain forward as he ran around the track for the final period of time in his life!

How does all of this apply to you today? When you are exhausted from the never-ending problems of life and the thought of dying or going to Heaven sounds like a welcome relief, stop to ask yourself:
·         Have I done everything God has asked me to do?
·         Can I say that I have run my race and finished it all the way to the finish line?
·         Are there others who are depending on me and who still need me?

If your answers to these questions reveal that your job is undone and that others are still depending on you, then it's not time for you to go! One day you can set sail and soar out into eternity. There is a day coming in your life when you will break camp from this earthly realm and move onward to heavenly territory. But that day isn't now. Instead, you need to grab hold of the power of God and run fiercely to finish the race that is still left undone and that is before you. Don't stop running your race until you know you have done EVERYTHING Jesus has asked you to do.


CHALLENGE FOR THE DAY:
So pull yourself together. Muster your strength. Draw upon the power of the Holy Spirit. Get ready, get set, and start running your race and keep running until you can say without any doubt that you have finished your course! Until you can say that with confidence, you need to quit thinking about Heaven and start thinking about how to run your race to the end!

PRAYER FOR THE DAY:
    
Lord, I want to run my race victoriously all the way to the finish line! I don't want to quit, give up, or die until I can say I've finished everything You have ever assigned for me to do. Forgive me for allowing thoughts of death to dominate me. I have too much living left to do to dwell on these kinds of self-defeating thoughts. Please help me shove aside my exhaustion, grab hold of Your power, and press forward to do what You have called me to do with my life.  I pray this in Jesus' name! Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment