Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Strive & Compete Like an Athlete


Greek Word with English Transliteration: αθλεω (athleo); αθλησίς (athlesis)

Pronunciation: ath-LEH-o; ATH-lay-sis

Strong’s Concordance #: 118, 119

Meaning: to engage in competition or conflict;

English Words Derived From: athlete; athletics

Background of Word (etymology): this word was used early in Greek culture to describe athletes and events at the very popular Grecian Olympics; it later came even to be used to describe soldiers in battle;

How Translated in KJV and/or ESV: strive; fight; to struggle in a contest

# of Times Used in the Greek New Testament: 2

Verse in the Bible Where Greek Word Used:

2 Timothy 2:5
“And if a man also strive for masteries (αθλεω), yet is he not crowned, except he strive lawfully.”
Hebrews 10:32
“But call to remembrance the former days, in which, after ye were illuminated, ye endured a great fight (αθλησίς) of afflictions.”


THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
Struggles and conflict are an expected way of life.  Not that we go out and look for them as they will surely find us.  But God will use them to strengthen us.  As with a caterpillar that must struggle and fight its way out of its cocoon to emerge as a beautiful butterfly, God allows struggles in our lives to strengthen our wings.  Now go fly to great heights my Brothers and Sisters in Christ. 

CHALLENGE OF THE DAY:
What test are you facing today, friend? What has this time of hardship revealed about your own level of commitment? Are you as committed as you thought you were, or have you discovered that you are much softer spiritually than you realized? Rather than go forward in life in that soft condition, don't you think it would be a good idea for you to look at this time in your life as an opportunity to get tougher and to grow stronger in the Lord?

I guarantee you — Satan hates every believer who dares to shine the light of God's Word into places previously held hostage in darkness. If you decide to be one of those committed believers and to endeavor to do exactly what God has told you to do, Satan will be very alarmed by your obedience. He may try to stop you, throwing obstacles in your path that you never dreamed could happen to you. If you haven't mentally and spiritually prepared yourself to be strong, these attacks of the enemy may overwhelm you.

Don't you think it's time for you to decide whether you are a professional or an amateur in God's Kingdom? If you are a professional, it's time for you to change your mental outlook on life and then get busy training and preparing so you can win every one of your future competitions!

PRAYER FOR THE DAY:
Lord, I want to be strong enough to overcome any situation I'll ever face in life. Forgive me for sitting around and wasting valuable time that I could have used to train and prepare myself to be spiritually fit. I'm sorry I've allowed myself to be lazy at times, and today I am making the decision to throw myself into spiritual preparation. I have decided to strive for the masteries and make my life count! Holy Spirit, please help me become everything Jesus intends for me to be and to make the changes in my mental outlook that are required for me to become a winner in life.  I pray this in Jesus' name! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment